mandag den 1. september 2008

A style tribute to the 20s and 30s

It’s not secret that I, at the moment, am a big fan of the whole 1920s and 1930s style. So much that I decide to dedicate a complete post to my two favourite style icons of that period: Louise Brooks and Marlene Dietrich.

First up is the lovely Louise:
She is the best example of the 1920s hairstyle and fashion, that I can find:
I’ve already got the hat and the haircut – more on that another time – so what I need is the smoky eyes and the wild and decadent dress.
Marlene Dietrich
I think she’s the only woman, I know who really looks good in a tux, a part from maybe Catharine Deneuve. but in this context, she's too innocent and fragile. Marlene is intimidating and luring – half of the look I guess is the confidence and sex she oozes.
The whole masculine look with, suit, tie and a hat really inspires me. Usually I’m not a fan of women wearing a shit and tie – the balance of being feminine in men’s clothing is just difficult.
But with Marlene, I think I’ve discovered the trick. It’s all about feeling sexy and confident. And with a cigarette in your mouth and a halo of smoke around you, what could go wrong?

1 kommentar:

Romeika sagde ...

They're both wonderful, I wish I could pull off Louise Brooks' haircut, and the flapper dress too.